Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The painted door in the stable.

Today it wasn't raining, so I decided to move swiftly and paint the door.

I normally like to use oil base paint, since I haven't got much faith in latex /acrylic paints.
The colour is called Swedish red. It is a Danish produced paint from Esbjerg Paints. The label of this paint is called Arsinol, it is intended for outdoor use.

The paint has got some added thickener (I think it is called thixotropic), so it doesn't drip very much. It covers really well, so all in all I find it an OK paint.

The handle is placed high up on the door, but since the holding arrangement for the latch is also embedded in the brick work, I had to stay with that position.

The outside.

The inside.


8 comments:

  1. Hello,

    There is the story of the door, in the village, in Denmark painted red 300 years ago for the last time, with blood. It's a good paint too.

    Greetings,

    Ernest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So difficult getting a comment to take on the blogspot service.

      E.DB.

      Delete
    2. So difficult getting a comment to take on the blogspot service.

      E.DB.

      Delete
    3. Hello Ernest.
      I know that blood was used before, I think it ends up being a brown/reddish colour. But I am afraid that the horses will be a little afraid of the door if it smells of blood :-)
      I agree that it can sometimes be very difficult to comment on blogspot. I normally make a copy of my comment before pressing "publish", otherwise I'll have to write it again..

      Delete
    4. Hello Ernest.
      It just did exactly that, disappears when I press "publish"..

      Thanks for commenting.
      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  2. Yes Jonas the blood will go very dark, like the background of your blog here, but blood is not for color only the medium. You get that good Swedish red from iron oxide pigment mixed in there. I don't know how horses will react.

    Regards,

    Ernest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regarding your name and web page, the Swedish term for shingles is:
      stickspån.
      You can try to copy it and insert it in google (I am not sure if your computer has got the letter: å)

      I saw a planing machine once at some vintage days in Gammelvala in Sweden. It was like a giant cheese plane where you held short lengths of log onto. The planings were shingles. albeit not as good as hand riven shingles, it is very fast.

      http://iconosquare.com/p/770776210833542043_1360240897
      http://iconosquare.com/p/769393421911460018_1360240897
      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete
  3. I do like making shingles and putting them up. Well, it's known here that I do that and my neighbor sent me a picture of one of these Swedish shingle slicers from her visit to Sweden the past summer. Long live wooden shingle roof coverings!

    E.DB.

    ReplyDelete