Friday, May 6, 2016

Carved name sign for Milo

Gustav or middle son was offered to ride a pony by a breeder. This is an excellent pony that is capable of jumping far higher than our old pony.
Our old pony was sold due to the fact that Gustav wanted to move on to new challenges and I was very proud that someone thought that highly of his skills as to offer him a pony to ride.

The deal is that he can ride the pony, and we'll feed him and pay the farrier etc.
A pony of this caliber would be out of the question if we would have had to pay for it ourselves. And I know that one day the breeder might choose to sell the pony which is perfectly OK, because she will probably have another pony ready at that time that he will then hopefully be offered instead.

With Milo now in our stable I felt obliged to carve a name sign for him like I have done for our other horses and ponies so far.

I didn't have any nice boards left from the pilot ladder that I used for the last name sign, so I had to settle for a spruce board from a pallet.
The carving turned out OK, but the difference in color of the grain makes it hard to see the outline of the horse. I think this will improve if the sign is painted or maybe just varnished. I will discuss it with Gustav and then let him decide.

I used my usual technique for the letters, but instead of carving the logo of the New Forest ponies I opted for a silhouette of a horse that is jumping. The logo of the NF ponies looks kind of like an atomic cloud to me, so that's why I didn't choose it.
For some reason there is a larger distance between the L and the O than with the rest of the letters. I think the problem is that the L has sort of an open side and the O can't "intrude" that space. But It is how the name came out of the printer.


The layout.

The third board from the left looked fine to me.

Tools used for the carving.


The completed sign.

Close up of the horse silhouette.


2 comments:

  1. Admit it, you are choosing your horses based on the length of their name. You really don't want to carve a nameplate like, "Secritariat," or "Seabuiscuit."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could do that but things don't work that way :)

      Seabiscuit would be worse than Secritariat due the the higher number of "rounded" letters.
      The worst letters to carve are: S, B, O, Q etc.

      Some horses have incredibly long names in order to show their pedigree, so those would be a challenge as well.

      Some of the logos are very ornate too, e.g. the logo of my favorite breed the Trakehner is a full set of antlers. Still I would like to have one of those.
      https://www.google.no/search?q=trakehner+logo&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiMpqDBjcfMAhUBniwKHVEVAaoQ_AUIBygB&biw=1920&bih=1099

      Cheers
      Jonas

      Delete